Follow the Réseau Art Nouveau Network Cultural Route of the Council of Europe to Oradea, a Romanian city whose cosmopolitan cultural identity was forged by intense trade and cultural exchanges. At the turn of the 20th century, riding the tide of its economic growth and openness, Oradea was remodelled and quickly transformed into the Art Nouveau capital of Romania. The main protagonists in the transformation of the city were renowned architects of the era, such as Kálmán Rimanóczy Jr, László and József Vágó, Marcell Komor, Dezsö Jakab, Valér Mende and Franz Löbl, who were inspired by the Viennese Secessionist movement, the “Coup de fouet” movement of the French school and Art déco. Among the many beautiful buildings, which earned Oradea the nickname “Petit Paris”, is Darvas-La Roche House, which has recently opened as a museum of Art Nouveau.
While in Oradea, visit the “Aurel Lazăr” Memorial Museum, located in the Art Nouveau house of the Lazăr family. Built in the last years of the 19th century, Casa Lazăr has special historical significance. It was in one of its rooms, on October 12th, 1918, that the Declaration of self-determination of all Romanians living on the lands of Transylvania, Banat, Crişana and Maramureş, from the Austro-Hungarian Empire, was signed.